Monday, July 30, 2012

Slow cooker bbq pulled pork

All day at work Friday I had a hankering for some barbecued pulled pork sandwiches.  I had never made pulled pork before so I decided to do some research while I hit up Sharp Shopper (where I knew they always had pork roast on sale) when I got off. So when I left the hospital that afternoon I picked Lo up from school and headed to Waynesboro.

When we got there it was packed. I hate crowds. I bartended for years dealing with crowds of drunken idiots and now I work in a large hospital full of people with no moral compasses. When I'm away from work I prefer to be where the people are not. Anyways, we got to the discount grocery store and of course spent too much money on things I hadn't realized I needed until we ran across them in the store. Finally we arrived at the frozen food aisle where they keep the pork roasts I had in mind. Being a discount grocery store meant they didn't have a whole lot of choices but they did have some Smithfield mesquite pork sirloin for $4.99.  I figured pork marinated in mesquite should be good since I'm making barbecue so I googled some recipes in the store and saw that it was easily doable.  I also picked up a large pack of hamburger buns and some store brand honey bbq sauce.

Twenty-eight dollars later and I was home gathering tips from several recipes online from my laptop.  One of the first things I noted was that the sirloin is an expensive form of pork and it is silly to use it to make pulled pork.  Whoops!  But on the plus side it is apparently better for my family because it is a leaner cut compared to a butt or shoulder which are normally used to make pulled pork.  After researching I began to gather my ingredients and realized that I didn't have apple cider vinegar so I decided to postpone cooking until after I had picked up my mom at work.  Luckily my mom works at Wal-Mart so it was a two for one stop.

When I got to Wal-Mart it was surprisingly not busy.  Lo and I headed for the vinegar ($.79 for the store brand) and then on a whim I decided to check out the pork selections.  I almost shit my pants.  They had pork butt the size of my head (dreds and all) for $11!  Why the heck did I drive all the way to Sharp Shopper to get the wrong cut of meat a quarter of the size for more money?!  Lesson learned, do my research beforehand and not from my android!

The recipe that I made up for my expensive bbq pulled pork goes as follows:


  • Oil the slow cooker (because sirloin is not as fatty as da butt).
  • Slice a yellow onion and line the bottom of the pot.
  • Place 2 Smithfield Mesquite Pork Sirloin Roasts in the pot on top of the onions.
  • Cover with a butt load of brown sugar.
  • Pour enough apple cider vinegar and water into the pot to reach halfway up the pork roasts.
  • Set at low for 10 hours (I cooked this overnight and when I woke for work the next day the house smelled fantastic) or until the pork easily pulls apart with a fork.
  • Drain the juices and vinegar from the pork by setting it into a colander.
  • Take a fork in each hand and pull(shred) the pork apart.
  • Put the pork back into the slow cooker and pour your favorite barbecue sauce over the top (we ended up using Sweet Baby Rays, that store brand crap was too vinegary with the pork).
  • Mix well and set your pot to keep food warm.  
  • Serve on hamburger buns and watch your friends and family melt from the deliciousness!



This was my final result. I took some to work and served the pork on delicious hamburger buns with Martins bbq potato chips.  Everyone loved it!  I asked them all for suggestions on what may have been missing or whether they liked the texture and no one had a thing to say.  I guess I did all right for a first timer!


No comments: