Saturday, January 5, 2008

As we were walking down Cameron Street I decided that I wanted to go home. Big mistake. I hailed a cab and got in without realizing that the driver was the same douche bag that hit my truck last year without paying for the damage. We began to get into it because he of course recognized me. I told him to drop me off in front of Milano's.

When I got out Mitch was just leaving the bar. He told me that he didn't have a place to stay and that he was just bumming around. I got into my car crying because there was nothing I could do for him. I see a lot of myself in Mitch and often worry that I'll be in his spot in a few years or even months.

I wiped my tears as I began to drive away and crested towards home. I only made it halfway before I saw red and blue lights in the rearview mirror. The cop that pulled me over was patient. I lied when I told him that I had only had 2 drinks that night. Directly outside of the middle school where only a year ago I was a student teacher for an ESL course, I was arrested for a DUI.

That night I blew a .2 in front of my friend's jetta that i was borrowing. I cried all the way to the station. Then a few hours later I blew a .16. They gave me a certificate and everything!

The next day after blowing for 3 hours after I waking up I was finally released. The cop asked me if I wanted to call anyone but since they had left my cell in Matt's car I told him I would call a cab if he could get the number for me. I called Polly's and the bitch on the other end said it would be there shortly. Unfortunately the magistrate took twenty minutes to configure my bond.

By the time my face finally saw the sunlight at 11 the next morning the cab was either gone or had never shown up. I had no choice from there.

I started walking. I was so thirsty walking to route 7 I was looking at rain puddles on the side of the road considering to sit down and start slurping.

The first pay phone I got to I called the only local number I could remember. But since I called collect Jon didn't pick up. His phone doesn't allow collect calls. I walked to the Shoney's Inn thinking that I could at least get some ice cubes from the vending room. But of course it was out.

I didn't know what to do so I just sat on the steps and smoked a cigarette. I was all cried out and far past the point when I thought that would do any good. I knew that my house was too far away to walk to so I decided to walk to Scarlett and Isa's house. On the way I passed Nicky P.'s house and I guess he saw me through his living room window.

He asked me to come inside...

No comments: